A record of my adventures of birds and bird ringing


Tuesday 28 April 2009

Nest Boxes

I've been vaguely aware of a nest box or two around college during the past year, but suddenly all my ringing friends are busy ringing pulli (chicks) and I remember that I, too, have a pullus endorsement. Albeit very restricted. So last Thursday I wandered all over the grounds in a desperate attempt to find as many as possible, and see if any of them have birds in them.

One interesting thing I've noted is that people interested in birds often do not put bird things where I (as a ringer) would. The nest boxes were all (with the possible exception of one or two) out of the range of even the longest ladder. Speaking to the gardeners I learn that one of them (Phil) put them up a few years back, with his climbing harness and has since regretted it a bit because they havent been able to clean them from year to year. Not put off (much) by the lack of possibilities, I focus my attention on the 2 in reach. One has nesting GRETI, the other appears to be empty.

Another thing I've noticed is the complete lack of sense in people, or rather, the complete presence of health and safety legislation. I wasnt allowed to borrow a ladder from the maintenence department due to this. Fair enough, I suppose, from their point of view, but hugely frustrating for me!!!

So I went back to talk to the gardeners, who then said there might be one or two reachable boxes on the sides of various buildings. I tried them, two were empty and the rest I couldnt open (fixed slate roofs or similar). Which is another example of non-ringer thinking! One of my friends knows the location of a wrens nest in the next door college but even if I could get permission it isnt on my license, so I think I'm going to have to leave the pulli for this year.

In other news: I have a theoretically squirrel proof feeder! It works on a weight principle (squirrels will cause a cover to go over the open bird-standy-on bits). We'll see how squirrel proof it is - I dont trust those beasties one bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment