A record of my adventures of birds and bird ringing


Friday 8 May 2009

Squirrels 5 - Limey 1

I've just been round to do a check/refill of my feeders, and guess what, they got another one. This was, admittedly a £3 feeder from the market, so not a huge loss, but it's the principle of the thing. This feeder I had repaired, duct-taped to within an inch of its life and have spent the last week and a half watching half satisfactorily as the levels in the feeder weren't dropping by much (no squirrel predation but equally few birds feeding). This afternoon the bird-standing-on thingy was hanging by a thread of duct-tape, which had been thoroughly chewed through. The transparent plastic has been chewed as well so it's no longer in a usable condition.

I'm still not quite sure whether or not the squirrel proof feeder is working - the levels are going down, and there is certainly no sign of squirrel chewing, however it's quite a light, small feeder and I find myself thinking that they could be rocking it to make the seed fall to the ground or something. Devious beasts! If only I had enough time to watch my feeders, but alas, exam term looms in the forefront of my mind and work must take some form of priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment