A record of my adventures of birds and bird ringing


Saturday 16 May 2009

An unsucessful morning. ish.

Last night I was in two minds about trying to ring this morning. The weather forecast was 'showers' but I knew if I didnt try, the weather would have been perfect for it. On the other hand, it was a fairly massive cloud passing over Britain, and I didnt want to disrupt my sleeping pattern (exams in 5 days!).

So I got up at 5, which was my compromise - to be up at dawn rather than to have the nets set for dawn, and by 6.20 I had 2 nets set and 2 blue tits in them. The weather was just about perfect - still, overcast, birds everywhere. And then it started to rain. And it carried on raining. At first I though I'd wait 5 minutes, to see if it would ease off at all, but no hope, so I took a net down (the one surrounded by high grass and has more potential for soaking my feet/legs). I then went to take the other net down, and it had caught another blue tit, which I think doubles the number of blue tits I've caught here!

Although the total catching time cant have been more than half an hour, I caught 3 blue tits, which is a very nice rate. It's just a bit disappointing in terms of time and species diversity. Where are all my blackbirds? And why has the rain now stopped????

No comments:

Post a Comment