A record of my adventures of birds and bird ringing


Wednesday 20 May 2009

Tawny

A bit of news on the tawny - I havent heard it for about 2 weeks, and was browsing through the weekly rag a few days ago when I came across an article. Apparently a Tawny owl was found dangling from a tree in a nearby park with its wing wrapped up in kite string. Poor thing! I strongly suspect this is 'my' tawny, it's certainly within the territory range and would explain why I havent heard mine in a while. In any case, the tawny has gone to a nearby birds of prey centre to recover and should hopefully be released soon.

I cant help but wonder about the ring-ability of such an owl - the ringers manual says not to ring a bird held captive for 24 hours or more, unless you get special permission, but even if I knew that this owl was definitely my tawny, it's still a wild bird and if I caught it should I treat it as such and ring it?

I got a phone call from my sister today, apparently there was an excitingly large package addressed to me sitting at home, and my mother was itching to open it! It turned out to be my newly ordered potter traps, which I expected to turn up here - never mind. They're now being sent down to me from home and hopefully I will be able to catch some of the bigger birds with them - watch out you magpies!!

1 comment:

  1. Give the Ringing Office a bell, they will probabloy let you go ahead.

    Good luck with the potters - good for moorhens too of course!

    ReplyDelete