A record of my adventures of birds and bird ringing


Friday 9 April 2010

Finding nests

I went out for a thorougly damp nest finding session with Vince (one of the Cambridge nesters) about a week ago. The weather was thoroughly miserable - cold, rainy, windy, you name it - and we didnt find many nests (one, in fact).

We did see two Grebes performing the first few stages of courtship (where one of them mimics the other) which was lovely to watch, and saw them fishing. And there was a Coot which swam all the way across the lake to disappear into the reeds with a short, slimy, weed-covered stick.


More recently I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and go for a good nest search in college gardens. After getting VERY bramble scratched, I found an old Bullfinch nest, an old (what I assume is) Robin nest (it could have been Dunnock or some other small passerine, I dont really know), and, my most exciting find, a new and active Blackbird nest with four eggs!

At least, when I compared it to picture on the web it looked like a blackbird nest, but I have yet to see the blackbird on it. I'm leaving it alone for a few days so I dont disturb them too much, but I will observe from a distance now I know where it is.

Whilst searching I also found 2 predated bright blue eggs with speckles - I'm still not sure what species these are from (I REALLY need a nest/egg guide), and a freshly dead pheasant, from what looked like a fox. We also found half of its tail feathers on the other side of the orchard - looks like it may have been chased a fair bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment